Sunday, November 7, 2010

Data

I think the statement, "Discuss the importance of data to the future of journalism" is, in small portion, false. 

Data is an everyday usage in the world of journalism and it is already an important factor.  If anything it will just become MORE important. 

Journalists should learn to take advantage of the data that is at their finger tips.  Data is and will continue to be an important role in the field of journalism.  There actually, in my opinion, is no journalism without data.  How can a journalist report without data to report about or support the topic that is being reported without data to back it up?  Internet, surveys and good old fashioned interviews are all wonderful sources of data.  With the Internet growing so rapidly, this can only help increase the finding of data.  Of course, the journalist gets to decided if the Internet source is reliable or not, but it is a gamble worth taking. 

Journalism students are learning late in education the importance of data gathering.  I am a junior in college and I am just now taking a class the involves data usage.  If I had not personally worked for a news paper outside of school or volunteered to work at the news paper at my junior college, then data gathering would be new to me this year.  My News Feature Writing Class is the class that I am talking about and it is this class that I have given assignments that call for data.  I think a little more personal motivation from students to get more active in data research is a great way for journalism students to prepare for their future in the journalism field.

As for journalism educators, based on my last paragraph, I think introducing the students to data research much earlier in their educations is the right way to go.  I don't think there is much preparation for journalist and journalism educators because of the knowledge most already have.  It is the journalism students that need the most preparation on this matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment